Are you constantly on the go, and worrying about what’s happening at your blog while you are not there to check up on it? Not to worry! With the new TextMe plugin, you can have a carbon-copy of all admin emails sent via SMS to your cell phone. TextMe supports sending SMS via most major carriers.
All standard text-messaging fees for your carrier still apply when receiving notifications from TextMe. That means that if you are charged 10 cents per received-text, you will be charged 10 cents by your carrier for each TextMe notification. Use of TextMe is not recommended if you have a blog where you receive many comments a day and choose to receive an email for each comment made. Use of TextMe is recommended for people who have text-messages to spare (preferably an unlimited plan).
Trevor Fitzgerald deserves credit for the idea of this plugin.
The current version of TextMe is 1.1. You can download the 1.1 version from several sources:
- The WordPress Plugin Directory (recommended)
- My Subversion server (username: anonymous, password: anonymous)
- My site
Follow these simple steps to install TextMe:
- Unzip the TextMe package you just downloaded
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in the WordPress dashboard
- View the TextMe page of the Options menu in the WordPress dashboard
- Configure TextMe by specifying a phone number and a carrier
If you have a bug to report, a feature to suggest, or any random comment about this plugin, please do so by using the comment form after the end of this post. Don’t worry; you don’t need to register to write a comment.